Monday, December 9, 2013

Onnnnnn the First Day of Basic Training My Drill Sergeant Gave to Meeee.... a Marine with jokes.


Reception was the place I stayed at while waiting for my number to be called to officially start basic training; a holding facility, if you will.  My number was 060 and it was at that moment I realized I was just a number in the masses of soldiers our country has produced.  I’d have to work hard to become more than just a number or even worse, a dead statistic that the average ignorant American wouldn’t give a shit about.   
            Reception was every man for himself and we had absolutely nothing to do except stand in formations for hours waiting for something to happen or for our number to be called.  I remember being called to a formation at midnight and we got to see the sun rise together while some guys fell on their faces as they fell asleep standing up.  How romantic.  This went on for over a week.  If we weren’t in formation or in line for chow, we would be in the barracks.  People wouldn’t hesitate to steal from one another.  I wasn’t surprised when I later found out how many men joined the army to avoid jail.  I found a couple of guys that could be trusted and we watched each other’s backs.
One soldier, Nguyen, was a soft-spoken Vietnamese man who had a lot of pain in his past that he didn’t want to reveal.  He looked like a smaller version of the Asian bad guy in all the 80’s movies, especially the ones with Jean Claude Van Dam.  It’s always nice to have a diesel-looking guy on your side.  Nguyen left the barracks room one day and this guy, Crapp, started rummaging thru his locker.  I screamed at Crapp to get out and hoped that we wouldn’t have our numbers called to be in the same basic training platoon.  I wasn’t so lucky.  What a dirt bag.  He claimed he wasn’t going to take anything.  So why go into another person’s locker?  Now he can add shameful liar to his resume.
The other was a former marine, Reece.  Reece was white, thin, light haired and confident in his knowledge of how the military worked.  He could tell if someone was legitimately allowed to bark orders at us or not.  Some guys at reception had been their longer and would yell at newer guys like myself to get out of the way or do push ups since they knew we’d listen to anyone with balls at that point.  Reece protected us from that.  My team was set.  Picking a good team was something I did well.
Reception was also a place where guys can decide to make a run for it or not.  A lot of people get to reception and realize they made a huge mistake or realized they were clean and sober enough to see they signed a contract.  Reece came up to me in formation one day.
“Vance, did you hear about last night?” he asked.
“Nah, what happened?”
“Two dudes wanted to get out of their contract so they arranged to get caught blowing each other in the cleaning closet.”
“No way, that’s too extreme man!”
“Shhhhh!” an annoyed soldier hissed as we spoke in a formation where speaking wasn’t allowed.
“Oh fuck off, ya narc.  Nobody’s going to check on us for hours,” Reece said forcefully.
“Did you actually see it go down?” I asked
“No, but I definitely heard a drill screaming while dragging both of them off down the hall.”
It was the summer of 2004, when ‘Don’t ask, don’t tell’ was still in full effect.  I was shocked two heterosexuals would go that far though.  Reece loved telling stories like that.  He told me about the jokes his buddies in the marines played on each other.  Reece said one of his buddies sent him a package with homoerotic messages on the box so when he went for mail call everyone would see the false evidence.  I found this hilarious.  There's nothing wrong with being gay, but when you're surrounded by a bunch of brutes during that sad time in the military... you became the outcast.  I wish I found it a red flag when he asked for my address.  Not my smartest moment.
Eventually I was in basic and a drill summoned me down to the front of the barracks.
“If you want this mail, private, you gonna have to earn it,” said the size large black drill with a Pepe Le Pew mustache and Louis Armstrong voice.
“Yes, drill sergeant,” and the push-ups commenced.
“Private, is your name Vance?”
“Yes, drill sergeant.”
“Get the fuck up.”
I got back to my feet, as the letter was mid-flight en route to a desk and the drill had already turned to walk away.  It was as if he didn’t want anything to do with the letter nor me for that matter.  I took that as a hint to grab my letter and go back to my platoon’s floor.  I looked down at the envelope and my face turned beet red.  I grabbed the letter and left as I noticed the two privates standing close to the drill were working real hard not to laugh.  The letter was from Reece and he was kind enough to put heart’s with X’s and O’s all over the envelope addressed from a manly name, like 'Big Chuck' and little notes reading 'I miss my main squeeze.'  The letter inside simply read, “Gotchya Vance!”  That son of a bitch.

Well played, sir, welllllll played indeed.

No comments: